(TAMPA, FLORIDA, USA, 24 JANUARY 2012) –
The Facility of the Year Awards Judging Panel has named five Category Award Winners and selected one project for Special Recognition in the 2012 Facility of the Year Awards (FOYA) program. The winning projects for 2012 are located in Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, and the USA. The winning companies and respective award categories are:
- Chiesi Farmaceutici S.p.A., winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Sustainability for its Chiesi Farmaceutici Research and Development Centre facility in Parma, Italy
- Eisai Pharmatechnology & Manufacturing Pvt. Ltd., winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Project Execution for its Eisai Knowledge Centre facility in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh India
- Merck & Co., Inc., winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Facility Integration for its Merck Vaccine Bulk Manufacturing Facility (VBF) Program of Projects in Durham, North Carolina USA
- Rentschler Biotechnologie GmbH, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Equipment Innovation for its REX III manufacturing facility in Laupheim, Germany
- Roche Diagnostics GmbH, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Operational Excellence for its TP Expand project in Penzberg, Germany
- National Institute for Bioprocessing Research and Training (NIBRT), winner of the Facility of the Year Award Special Recognition for Novel Collaboration for its New Greenfield facility in Dublin, Ireland
The FOYA program is the pharmaceutical industry’s premier awards program dedicated to celebrating innovation and accomplishments in facility design, construction, and operation. The Facility of the Year Awards program recognizes state-of-the-art pharmaceutical manufacturing projects that utilize new and innovative technologies to enhance the delivery of a quality project, as well as reduce the cost of producing high-quality medicines. Now entering its ninth year, the awards program effectively spotlights the accomplishments, shared commitment, and dedication of individuals in companies worldwide to innovate and advance pharmaceutical manufacturing technology for the benefit of patients worldwide. The Facility of the Year Awards program is sponsored by ISPE, INTERPHEX, and Pharmaceutical Processing magazine.
“Our 2012 Category Winners reflect the true spirit of the Facility of the Year Awards program,” said Judging Panel Chairperson and upcoming “Lessons from 483s” conference keynote speaker Chaz Calitri. “The winning projects exemplify innovation in pharmaceutical manufacturing for the benefit of patients all over the world, who depend upon us for medications that are high quality, available and affordable. Our winners come from 5 different countries and include novel, low cost biologics facilities, creative and visionary industry-academia-government collaborations, and hyper-fast track investments made to ensure vaccine’s get to patients in need. We are also proud this year to recognize facilities that seek to speed up drug development as well as facilities that greatly reduce the environmental “footprint” of manufacturing in the communities in which they reside”
The Facility of the Year Awards program is truly global, as submissions over the past eight years have been received from more than 25 different countries and territories. Each of the submissions was reviewed by an independent, blue-ribbon judging panel consisting of global senior-level executives from all aspects of the industry. The judging panel met personally in December to select the Category Awards Winners and select the 2012 overall winner, which will be announced to the world for the first time at ISPE’s Annual Meeting in November.
2012 Facility of the Year Events
There will be several opportunities to learn first-hand about the facilities being honored as “best in their class.” These opportunities include:
- INTERPHEX2012 – Attendees will be able to meet the Category Award Winners at the Facility of the Year Awards Display Area near the front of the exhibit hall of the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City, New York, USA. Team members from winning companies will be on-hand to discuss the success stories associated with these pharmaceutical manufacturing facilities. More information, including registration information, can be found at www.interphex.com.
- ISPE 2012 Annual Meeting – Category Winners will give presentations about their winning projects during ISPE’s 2012 Annual Meeting, 11-14 November in San Francisco, California USA. The highly anticipated announcement of the 2012 Facility of the Year Awards Overall Winner will also take place during the Keynote Session of this event. Information and updates on this global event can be found at www.ISPE.org.
- Feature Articles – Comprehensive coverage will appear in Pharmaceutical Processing magazine and ISPE’s Pharmaceutical Engineering magazine.
Comprehensive details about each of this year’s award-winning projects and their support teams, plus additional information on the awards program itself, can be found at www.FacilityoftheYear.org.
ISPE, the International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering, is a not-for-profit Society of 22,000 pharmaceutical professionals in 90 countries who use expert knowledge to create high-quality, cost-effective GMP solutions. ISPE is “Connecting a World of Pharmaceutical Knowledge” by providing Members with opportunities to develop their technical knowledge, exchange practical experience within their community, enhance their professional skills, and collaborate with global regulatory agencies and industry leaders. Founded in 1980, ISPE offers online learning opportunities for a global audience and has its worldwide headquarters in Tampa, Florida, USA; its European office in Brussels, Belgium; an Asia Pacific office in Singapore; and its newest office in Shanghai, China. Visit www.ISPE.org for additional Society news and information.
Now in its 33rd year, INTERPHEX is the largest gathering for FDA regulated drug and drug delivery products for technical professionals in development & manufacturing for pharmaceutical, biologic, generic, contract manufacturing and supporting services. ISPE is the exclusive official association sponsor of this industry-leading annual event. Scheduled for May 1-3, 2012 at the Javits Convention Center in New York City, NY, USA, the event hosts more than 650 suppliers on the show floor along with an expanded conference program, featuring a high-profile roster of subject matter experts. For information, visit www.INTERPHEX.com/ISPE.
About Pharmaceutical Processing
Pharmaceutical Processing magazine is the pharmaceutical industry's leading information provider, reporting on a full range of innovative new products, equipment, technology and trends for 28,000 engineers and managers responsible for the development, manufacture, validation and packaging of pharmaceuticals. An official sponsor of INTERPHEX, Pharmaceutical Processing distributes critical information to these professionals in a timely manner through a full range of print, electronic and online media. For information, visit www.pharmpro.com.